Monday, June 8, 2020

TALLYING THE COST: FRUSTRATIONS FROM THE PANDEMIC


We should soon start seeing publication of
books about the coronavirus pandemic of 2020. Dozens of personal narratives, political analyses, medical histories, and novels will appear, documenting the tragedies,

heroic actions, deepest thoughts, and inner feelings of a nation during a very difficult time. People still write books about Vietnam, the Second World War, even the pandemic of 1918, so we’ll have the coronavirus books before long.



We’ll get a head start. The three of us now reveal some of the frustrations we’ve endured as we lived through this. What drove us crazy? What made us angry? What left us feeling down? Where did we find hope? We each have a story:

Woodson: Frustrations with Family
Frustration with my fellow Evangelical Christians over their response to advice on
taking safety precautions against the virus sits at the top of my list of frustrations I’ve dealt with during the pandemic.  I say fellow Evangelicals because I count myself among them.  I am, however, of the William Barber Evangelical variety.  I believe Jesus died for my sins. I also find intrinsic to the gospel a demand that Christians fight for social justice for all.







I am distressed when I hear the thing some of my Evangelical friends say in response to the call that they exercise safety measures on behalf of themselves and others. I have
been admonished with words like, “I’m not going to worry about the pandemic. You’re not going to go before your time!”  Have they not read Luke 2:52 and the boast that the Lord was wise? It says there, “And Jesus increased in wisdom and

stature, and in favor with God and man.” Then there’s Proverbs 1:7, which says, “… fools despise wisdom and

instruction.” Or maybe they should remember Proverbs 4:5 and, “Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not …” Translation: God honors knowledge!



My Evangelical brothers and sisters behave as if they find knowledge and science and Christianity antithetical. The God who encourages their faith is the same God who
placed inside the skull of every human a brain weighing, on average, 3.3 pounds. I sometimes wonder if the people denying the need for protective measures against the virus really mean what they say. Do they simply seek showing the rest of us what great men and women of faith they are? 

Somebody out there, tell me what’s going on!         

Rob: All Work Makes … and that Business
When asked how I’m getting along, I invariably answer, “Fine,” or “Quite well, thank you.” My partner, Karyl, and I have
remained healthy and gotten through the days, stepping on each other’s toes only rarely. We’ve played the hand the virus dealt us. Pressed for details in phone conferences and e-mail
exchanges, I’ve confided that the lockdown the virus caused has been something of a blessing. I’ve used the last two and a half months of virtual isolation for intense work on the books I’m trying to finish, as well as my legal work.



I haven’t talked about the frustration I’ve suffered without my favorite relief valves for
the stress writing and law practice generate. Pushing through drafting and editing manuscripts and legal motions,  reading books and essays, and doing internet research, I’ve had no baseball games, golf tournaments, or
tennis matches for down time. I’ve substituted DVDs of old movies and TV shows, and they’ve helped a bit. ESPN’s ten-part documentary The Last Dance offered some relief.



As I’ve shared in this space before, I have dedicated myself to writing as a career
change. As I move out of law practice, though I remain committed to giving my clients the best service possible, I realize my future lies in writing novels and non-fiction books and essays about historical and current events. But, no matter how much we love something, most of us need a break from time to time. For me, the best break has been live or televised sports. I’ll really be glad when that’s back. I hope I’m not becoming that proverbial very dull boy.


Henry: Sadness and Hope

I write this watching and listening to the countdown for launch of NASA’s SpaceX Demo 2 mission. It’s the first launch of astronauts to the International Space Station using the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft and the Falcon 9 rocket. While the spacecraft represents a technological advancement, the hope it creates for gaining knowledge and understanding about the universe offers much more than any direct benefit.                 


During the pandemic, I’ve spent my time enjoying the company of my wife and older son, reading, writing, watching television, listening to radio programs from fifty years past, participating in Zoom conferences with friends and family, and completing long-neglected projects. I
miss the personal contact with my other children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and friends. I have played golf twice but endured perhaps the longest period I’ve gone without tennis in forty years.



I am most saddened and frustrated by the
amount of suffering and loss of life I’ve seen. I’m particularly distressed we haven’t used all we have learned inhabiting this earth in minimizing that suffering and loss of life. This has not been our finest hour. We could have done so much better.

I mentioned the SpaceX launch because the
effort evidences mankind’s hope for pushing ourselves to the limits of achievement. Reaching for the stars is a hopeful endeavor. Perhaps finding a speck of knowledge through the mission will enhance our journey on this small pebble. I hope and pray for blessings to all and that our efforts are rewarded.

No comments:

Post a Comment